So, you have done a teeth whitening procedure at your local dentist or used a home whitening kit. The biggest issue you are now thinking about is how to keep them white and retain that bright smile? While it is easy to turn your teeth white, you need to ensure you follow some tips that ensure they retain the look for a long time.
Avoid Food and drink that stain
The best way to ensure your teeth remain white is not to let them stain in the first place. Everyone knows that coffee, red wine, coloured fizzy drinks can stain your teeth. But there are also others that can stain your teeth such as:
- White wine
- Blueberries, blackberries, pomegranates
- Barbecue sauce
- green tea and black tea
- Sugary treats
- Marinara, curry, turmeric, paprika, and balsamic vinegar
If you cannot avoid them, limit your intake. Rinse your mouth with water within 30 minutes of consumption which can help lessen the likelihood of a stain. Also, avoid smoking and chewing tobacco, as both can cause tooth discolouration.
Eat foods that do not stain
Like foods that can stain, there are foods that can brighten your teeth. Some of the foods that you can try to whiten your teeth are:
- Apples – Apples improve gum health and stimulate saliva production, which helps to rinse away stains
- Cheese, milk, and yogurt – These are rich in calcium and can help to strengthen teeth enamel and appearance
- Nuts, celery, broccoli, and carrots – Because these are abrasive, they can actually scrub off stains
- Raw onions – The sulphur found in raw onions stops plaque from forming on your teeth
- Strawberries – Celebrities use a mix of strawberries and baking soda. Strawberries by themselves contain malic acid which removes surface stains on your teeth
Brush and floss regularly
Brushing twice a day and flossing should be a regular part of your routine. Using an electric brush can help you brush more efficiently than a standard toothbrush. The vibrating heads can remove stains better than brushing manually
Use whitening toothpaste
Whitening toothpaste is a quite common method to keep your teeth white. Due to containing a mix of abrasives and detergents, whitening toothpaste can help remove light surface staining from teeth and buff away dark spots. Some whitening toothpaste contains enzymes and antibacterial agents which can both slow the build-up of proteins on teeth and slow the spread of bacteria.
Brush with tooth mousse
Tooth mousse was originally developed by Australian researchers at the University of Melbourne. Tooth mousse contains ingredients that can remineralise the enamel layer of teeth, helping to reverse or prevent damage. While the mousse itself has no real whitening benefits, it can be used in conjunction with other whitening treatments to reduce sensitivity that can occur.
There are some home remedies which are not proven scientifically such as:
- Rubbing with banana peel and lemon rind – Some people use the inside of peel and rinds to whiten their teeth. It is always advisable to follow up such methods by brushing your teeth after 10 minutes
- Brushing with baking soda – Baking soda is well known for teeth whitening and as an antibacterial
Regular Dental Appointments
Schedule regular appointments with your local dentist. While keeping your teeth white is always advisable, visiting a dentist can often discover any underlying disease that affects your oral health. It is recommended to visit your dentist at least twice a year
Do you want to book a consultation?